As from June 2019, all new Mastercard credit cards for individual and business clients support contactless payments. By the end of 2020, all Mastercard credit cards and Visa Business cards that support deferred payments, which used to be authorized by signature, will be replaced by new contactless credit cards that apply PIN authorization.
The issuance of contactless credit cards will also affect the manner in which payments are authorized at points of sale. Contactless card transactions will no longer require signature authorization. Instead, they will be authorized by entering the PIN. In Croatia, PIN entry is not required for contactless payments that do not exceed HRK 250. The cardholder simply taps his card against the POS device. All other transactions at POS terminals and ATMs must be authorized by entering the PIN.
The contactless card you will receive has all the features as your current credit card, and your PIN and card number will remain the same. If you haven’t used your PIN so far or don’t know the PIN assigned to your credit card, please contact us.
If you are an online banking user, you can check your PIN via the m-zaba mobile application in the following manner:
1. Select the m-zaba icon
2. Enter your PIN or biometric data (fingerprint or face scan) to unlock m-zaba
3. Click on Cards
4. Select the card for which you want to view the PIN
5. Select Card PIN
The existing credit cards that require signature authorization will be in use until the end of this year.
Once you receive your new contactless credit card, you must activate it and start using it as soon as possible and no later than by January 1, 2021.
How to pay with a contactless card?
Amounts up to HRK 250.
- Just tap the card against the reader.
Amounts above HRK 250.
- Tap the card against the reader, and enter your PIN.
Good to know:
- Once you receive your contactless Mastercard credit card or your Visa Business card that supports deferred payments and after you activate it applying the usual methods, following the instructions contained in the letter sent with the card, you must make the first transaction or purchase by inserting the card in the POS device at a point of sale or an ATM, and authorize it by entering your PIN. Only then will you be able to make contactless payments. Since cash withdrawals are subject to a fee, when using an ATM to activate your card, it is enough just to check your balance by inserting the card and entering the PIN.
- The maximum amount of a single contactless transaction that does not require PIN authorization at the point of sale differs depending on the country: in Croatia, the said amount is HRK 250, and in other countries it may be either lower or greater.
- For additional safety, the allowed number of consecutive contactless payments without PIN authorization is limited to 5 per day. The 6th transaction must be authorized by entering the PIN, regardless of the amount.
- The contactless service is provided in accordance with the highest safety standards applicable to card companies. Contactless payments are executed via the same protected networks as the contactless transactions. The speed of execution of contactless transactions prevents disclosure of card data.
- Zaba cards are protected by daily limits, which define the number and amount of transactions per day. Purchases and withdrawals may be executed up to the daily limit determined for contactless cards. You can, however, adjust the limits to your needs and habits at any time.
- If you decide not to use your card for contactless payments, you should deactivate your daily limit for contactless payments. If you are an online banking user, you can do so via m-zaba. Otherwise, you can submit a request at one of our branches, at our e-branch, or by calling 01/3789 620.
- Protect the confidentiality of your PIN. Do not write it on the card or carry it together with your card, and do not leave your card unattended. In case of loss and/or theft, contactless technology represents an additional risk of misuse.
If you have any questions, please contact us by phone on: 0800 0024, or by e-mail at: email@example.com. We will answer you as soon as possible.